This is the story of our crazy little family.We do not claim to have it all worked out perfectly. We do not claim to be experts. What we do know is that everyday is a new adventure. Everyday there will be some tears, some laughter, some anger, some misunderstandings, some joy, some sorrow and a whole lot of happiness and love! That is how we know we are doing some things right!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Potty Training

I truly thought this afternoon I would have a mental breakdown. I must say though...not having that break makes me feel like a much stronger mother. I had this genius idea to try really hardcore to get Sara into a potty training routine while I was off this week for Spring Break. Well the first day I tried was Monday (yesterday) and I will sum yesterday up to my fault because I was unprepared for it.We had two pairs of underwear for her and who was I thinking that she was not going to go through them in an instant and then I would be back to square one. She made it through most of the first morning and I thought "hey maybe this potty training will go smoothly...I mean after all Sara is a smarty pants for her age" (Yes I know I have a bias opinion on that) Anyways well that quickly changed because she went in the first pair then she came in the car with me on a ride to the store and when I got home I should have run her upstairs to try and I didn't. She peed almost instantly when I didn't immediately put her on it.

So now I was on my second day and I thought I got this. I went and bought a 7 pack of underwear, had the two pairs from yesterday all cleaned as well, so I thought she can't possibly got through all 9 pairs before 5 o'clock tonight. (You must know at this point it was 1:30 in the afternoon) By 3:45 she had been through 7 total pairs, specifically 5 pairs between 3:00 and 3:45. I had one of those scenes from a comedy sitcom. Anyone who knows me and Sara can picture the following vividly. At 3:00 she was sitting on the hardwood floor doing a puzzle and stood up quickly and said, "Mommy I am peeing." There was no running her to the bathroom in time because she was already going at that point. So I take her upstairs sit her on the potty take off her underwear and pants and we sit for about 4 minutes. I take her off because she did not do anything, put on new underwear, go downstairs to keep playing, set the timer for another 20 minutes to put her on the potty, and she stands up and goes, "Mommy I am peeing." You got to be kidding me!! Well that same scenario happened two more times and each time I put her on the potty afterwords for a significant amount of time and she did nothing. Well the last time I got downstairs and was getting Sara goldfish and had my back turned for maybe two minutes when out of no where Sara goes, "Mommy I am peeing!" I turn quickly to see if I can make it to the potty and the bag rips for the goldfish. Then not only does she pee in that second but now is tapping her feet up and down. So now you have to imagine that here is Sara tapping her feet in the puddle of pee up and down on the other side of the kitchen, goldfish spilled everywhere, and Sara telling me, "Mommy you made a big mess!" Oh boy that was it for me! I bit my tongue though and reminded myself that I can't get angry with her because then she will be hating this whole potty training even more than she does.

I truly hope tomorrow the potty training goes a lot smoother. Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment